It seems as if everything we do has an impact on our environment and it’s not only humans who feel the effects! All of our environmental policies impact on Biodiversity, and we hope that by mitigating our impacts across all areas, we will help to sustain biodiversity. In addition, we are undertaking a number of specific actions which will support biodiversity around our building. See below for some details of our Biodiversity Policy.
If you look through the glass doors of the gallery spaces into the courtyard, you will see our planted box which contains tomato plants, lettuce, chives, and other pollinator friendly plants (cosmos and borage). This was planted using compost from our kitchen compost.
Our Biodiversity Area, adjacent to the Siamsa Tíre carpark and courtesy of permission from Kerry County Council, contains three specially built bird boxes made by local artist, Nik Taylor. You can read more about how he made these and the thinking behind the boxes. This project is the completion of our Percent For Art scheme as part of recent funding for energy upgrades from the Department of Culture, Heritage & the Gaeltacht (along with funding from the SEAI).
At a biodiversity workshop (delivered by Niamh Ní Dhúill) in the grounds around Siamsa in May of 2018, local volunteer plant recorder, Jessica Hamilton (The Kerry Branch of the Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland) generously completed this list for us: Plant List - Biodiversity Workshop 2018
As part of our Biodiversity Policy we have agreed the following:
- No herbicides to be used on the grounds around the building
- Grass will not be cut before the middle of April at earliest to assist pollinators
- We will keep grounds as free of litter as possible
- We will manage an area (adjacent to the Carpark) so as to maximise biodiversity (cut only a path through the grass).
- We will plant pollinator friendly fruit trees
- We will minimise any use of chemicals throughout the building
- We will host workshops and talks on the theme of biodiversity
- Install bird boxes where appropriate
- Compost all organic waste